The Major William Anderson McTeer Camp No. 39, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War was Chartered in 2009, in Maryville, Tenn.
The Camp is named for Maj. William A. McTeer (1843-1925), who played an important role in the formation of Blount County. Besides being the first Judge of General Sessions, he held many other important positions in the community and at his church, New Providence Presbyterian. He also served as an officer in the Union Army during the Civil War and wrote a journal of his experiences, LOYAL MOUNTAINEERS. Of the eighteen men who joined the Union Army with McTeer, only five returned home after the War.
Soon after returning from battle, McTeer became a noted lawyer in Blount County. He was the first judge of the Court of General Sessions and also represented Blount County as a Legislator. McTeer later served as a Commissioner of Internal Revenue, Maryville City Recorder, a Trustee of Maryville College and numerous other high-level positions in the community.
An eloquent writer, McTeer penned the histories of both New Providence Church and Eusebia Church. He also wrote many articles for the local newspaper publications.
2013-14 Camp Officers:
Camp Commander: Br. George Lane
Senior Vice-Commander: Br. Michael Downs, PCC
Junior Vice-Commander: Br. Stephen Wallace
Secretary: Capt. Douglas K. Fidler, Ph.D., PDC, U.S. Air Force (Ret.)
Treasurer: Br. David McReynolds
Past Camp Commander’s:
2011-13: Capt. Jason Scott Alley, PCC, Civil Air Patrol
2010-11: Capt. Craig Taylor Brown, PDC, U.S. Army (Ret.)
2009-10: Capt. Douglas K. Fidler, Ph.D., PDC, U.S. Air Force (Ret.) (Camp Organizer)